[Sca-cooks] Volume of a hogshead

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 7 10:36:45 PST 2005

All of the Wiki stuff can be changed by making an accepted modification to
an entry, so it is always open to question.  One of the common assumptions
is that all English measures are Imperial, but the actual Imperial system is
a product of the 19th Century.  Weights and measures prior to the 18th
Century are largely a matter of local acceptance and royal decree.
Beginning in the 18th Century, the standardization of weights and measures
became a priority for international trade and is still in progress.

I've been bit by the Imperial measure problem before and it took the better
part of a day to pull some of the historical answers together.

Bear