[Sca-cooks]Feasts Per Year

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jan 13 18:54:57 PST 2005

Samrah asked:

>  > How about a sound-off by kingdom as to how many feasts per year (kingdom,
>baronial, shire, whatever), how many served & price per plate?

and Mairi Ceilidh replied:

>I'm glad you posed that question.  I've been wondering the same thing.  My
>schedule for the coming year looks sort of like:
>
>April 29-May 1         Inaugural Baronial Investiture
>May 6-8 (?)              Kingdom Arts and Sciences Faire
>June ????                Out of Kingdom event (tentative)
>Sept. 2-5                  Kingdom 20th Year/Crown List
>Oct. 14-16                Panhandle Skirmishes (free picnic for everyone at
>the event, usually 400-700)
>Nov. 18-20                Pilgrimage to Rome
>
>There may be one or two places where I have committed to do lunch only at an
>event, and I may even have missed a feast in that list.  My norm is to serve
>travelers fare on Friday night, breakfast and lunch on Saturday, and feast
>Saturday night.  Labor Day weekend (Kingdom 20th year) is a two-feast
>weekend which my apprentice and I will work together.  The normal price for
>food for the weekend is $7.00 per person.  For the Baronial Investiture I am
>asking for $8.00 (other people are doing breakfast and lunch, which will
>come out of that), and for the 20th year I am asking $10.00 per person per
>night.
>
>So, am I out of my mind, or do others run that type of schedule.  This is a
>pretty typical year for me.

I don't do a whole lot of feasts, partly because the Standard West
Kingdom Event is a camping event with small groups handling their own
cooking (my shire typically does a period potluck) and partly because
I'm not that active. Since we came out here, I have been an assistant
cook once and co-head cook once for a nearby event centered around
the feast (80-100 people, I think) and head cook for a very snall
feast (the one I posted here a couple months ago. That's over almost
10 years.

>Mairi Ceilidh, who also has several standing non-SCA catering jobs every
>year, and helps with supper at the local homeless shelter one night a month

I do bread when my church supplies dinner at the homeless
shelter--they tell me they are getting called "the bread people" by
the recipients.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook