[Sca-cooks] Sigh - the Food Dog

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:57:21 PST 2005

>Competence is becoming a thing of the past.
>
>I ASKED for a picture CD.  I got a disk.  My computer doesn't have a disk
>reader anymore.
>
>I will ask our Web Mistress to get these up on the Bright Hills site and
>give you folks a link as soon as they are up.
>
>In the mean time - picture a 3 foot (maybe more) Foo Dog, sculpted of rice.
>Picture its mouth open.  Picture fog emerging.....
>
>The reality is better.
>
>My apologies folks.
>
>Ro

Thanks for the try Ro.  Food-Dog (a play on Foo Dog)  had a base of about a
foot and a half with a fog machine installed.  Food-Dog was sculpted over a
wooden frame, the roundish body of which was originally destined to be a cat
nest/scratching post, about 18 to 20 inches across.  He had 2 x 4 roughly
formed haunches and forelegs.  About a thousand semi-submered staples helped
hold the rice from sliding off.  The mane and paw fringes were done in
saffron coloured sushi rice, as was the mouth.  Shredded nori was then
placed on the "hairy" parts.  It had a rather square head, which ended up
looking rather like Groucho Marx with the addition of the dried shredded
nori on his eyebrows and the saffron coloured rice around his mouth.  The
thing, in total, with base and after rice application, stood almost four and
a half feet tall.   I have never seen so many pictures taken of any of my
work.  I think the fog  spouting from it's mouth was a nice touch.

The sign with it read:
Food-Dog

Brought to you from the mischief and insanity housed in the bodies of:

Olwen the Odd, Bright Hills
Ed (the tinker), Highland Foorde
Alainne d’Ancenis, Bright Hills
Martel von Charlottenberg, Bright Hills

There was another gentle who spontaniously also worked on the project at
site whose name is Todd.  Don't know much more about him, but hope to learn.

Olwen