[Sca-cooks] Barida - Cold Chicken Dish, 9th or 10th C. Abbasid

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jan 13 22:01:12 PST 2005

>I made this for a double Vigil at West Kingdom
>Twelfth Night. I made it like "chicken salad"
>because that would be easier for guests to eat
>than whole joints.
>
>I thought it was good and hope to make it again,
>and at least one of the vigilees was quite taken
>with it :-)
>
>Anahita
>
>--------------
>
>BARIDA - 9th or 10th C. Abbasid Cold Chicken Dish
>
>-= Original =-
>Two parts almonds and sugar and two parts
>vinegar and mustard mixed together in a vessel
>with partially dried safflower adding colour
>around the [edges] [one short word not legible
>in my photocopy]. Cucumber peeled, qutha and
>faqqas and pomegranate, chopped up small and
>sprinkled around the vessel. Add a little oil.
>Take a fine young chicken, cooked in vinegar,
>jointed and cut up in pieces and placed over the
>other ingredients in one vessel. Decorate the
>dish with pomegranate (seeds) and with almonds
>and olives chopped up fine.
>
>-= Comments =-
>This cold dish made from chicken was devised by Ibrahim ibn al-Mahdi.

I have a different recipe, also 9-10th c., but
credited to Abu Ja'far al-Barmaki

Bâ ridah (a cold dish) of Abu Ja'far al-Barmaki
Translated by Charles Perry from a 9-10th c. Islamic collection.

A fowl is taken, roasted, jointed and thrown in a
jar into which are put coriander, pepper, cumin
and cinnamon. Verjus is added, and mint, tarragon
and fresh thyme are cut over it, and good oil is
poured over it. Fresh spices are minced onto it,
and it is decorated with chopped cucumber.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com