[Sca-cooks] Re: Exploding Cabbage

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Fri Jan 14 06:51:35 PST 2005

T'was a team effort.  The paper mache part was done by Emmelyne de
Marksbury (emmelyne at silkewerk dot net).  The internal workings were
made by me.

Interestingly enough, a version of paper mache is actually period for
Europe.  There's a note about it in the Florithingy.

 From  http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/papermaking-msg.html

 > Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:11:48 EST
 > From: <GoodhueMA at aol.com>
 > To: sca-arts at raven.cc.ukans.edu
 > Subject: Re: References to Paper Mache in Period?
 >
 > <<Mistress Teleri ferch Pawl is investigating uses and techniques of
paper
 > mache in period>>
 >
 > In "Traite d' Architecture" printed in 1567, Philibert Delorme
describes dolls
 > made of paper paste which were pressed into hollow molds.  These toys
used
 > paper pulp, bran, sawdust and vegetable matter to make the
pulp.  Adding
 > arsenic stopped the rats from eating the finished dolls.  It isn't
exactly
 > paper mache the way we use it today but rather close.
 >
 > HL Agrippina Archon
 > Barony of Bjornsborg
 > Kingdom of Ansteorra"

- Doc