[Sca-cooks]Feasts Per Year

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Jan 14 07:40:36 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Samrah asked:
>>  > How about a sound-off by kingdom as to how many feasts per year
 >> (kingdom,
>> baronial, shire, whatever), how many served & price per plate?

East Kingdom has a LOT of events (almost any given weekend there are 2
within driving distance, and almost all of them have feasts, the exceptions
tending to be EKUs or a couple of heavy fighting/camping events). I have
been to camping events where there were no facilities, and been fed a rather
well-done feast of two courses. The Head Cook simply cooked everything at
home and transported it in coolers. While that one wasn't period, it was
rather nice modern Middle Eastern, and very tasty- many cold dishes, but the
hot food managed to be served reasonably warm, and there was plenty.

Prices tend to be in the $8 to $10 range, when they're separate- that tends
to reflect the high prices we pay for food in this area.

Whether there is a feast or not, there is almost invariably a dayboard,
usually included as part of the site fee, but not entirely.

The group I play with most, Northpass, is a fairly small canton, but well
established, with a very solid core of hard workers. They put on 3 major
events per year, usually- Northpass Tavern (indoors, winter, fairly
expensive because of the site fee), Riding of the Marches (outdoors, weekend
camping, equestrian- site problems last year meant it wasn't held, but
should be held this year), and John Barleycorn (outdoors, weekend camping,
very nice new site, with a decent kitchen set up).

The Feast I cooked was for Northpass Tavern. Site fee was ~$20 for
daytrippers, $28 for overnighters. Looks like they aren't having a feast
this year, or rather an all-day feast. For mine, I was to feed 60 then 70,
then 80 people (they can't count, but I was warned and dealt with it ;-) on
a budget of $800 which included Dayboard for everyone. Because their events
tend to be out in the middle of nowhere, feast fee is usually rolled over
into the site fee for overnights, and NO ONE is comped- everyone pays.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.