[Sca-cooks] Scrap Iron Chef

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 14 17:40:11 PST 2005

I participated in a roundtable discussion yesterday at the Hospitality Expo.
I talked to three different groups of high school kids about being a
Personal Chef/Private Caterer, mostly about what entails 'being your own
boss'.  Before it got started, I talked to some of the other presenters,
among them Tammie Cook who is the Research Coordinator for Be Square
Productions (Alton Brown's production company).  We talked a great deal
about getting her hooked up with medieval information, and about how
impressed I was by how much research went into every show.  We also talked a
bit about Iron Chef and the infamous Mr. Flay.  She agreed that he was an
overpaid crybaby, and that she had said so on several occasions.  However,
she said that it was Alton's opinion that of all the people at the network
he had to work with, that Bobby was the nicest, most generous, easy to work
with of all of them.  I was amazed, and she agreed it seemed unlikely, but
that Alton insisted he was a great guy.  She also said that most of TV cooks
were acting personalities first, 'available' second, and 'cooks' came in
somewhere further down the requirement list.
I commented that Good Eats seemed to have more scenes with him dressed in a
strange costume than recipes lately, and she agreed, saying that Alton is an
actor/filmmaker first, and would be just as happy with no recipes or food
involved at all.  They have just finished their fist show with no recipes, a
takeoff on "Mythbusters" called "Mythsmashers" where they explore 4 culinary
myths and prove or disprove them.
So, I figured it was only fair to give someone's opinion on B. Flay that
actually knew and worked with the man (not to mention someone we generally
DO respect), especially since it was a very positive one.
I'll be dropping another packet off to their offices (we provided Alton with
one over a year ago, she thinks he's most likely lost it), and hope to be
able to work with them on a medieval-themed show or two.  Keep your cooking
spoons crossed...
Christianna