[Sca-cooks] Scrap Iron Chef

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 09:37:40 PST 2005

--- kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

  However,
> she said that it was Alton's opinion that of all the people at the network
> he had to work with, that Bobby was the nicest, most generous, easy to work
> with of all of them.

I just saw Bobby Flay's Food Network special, in which he took a group of 'underpriveleged' High
School Culinary Arts students, and worked with them for a year to determine which one of them he
would sponsor into the French Culinary Institute.... to the tune of $30,000, I believe.

This had totally changed my opinion of Bobby Flay, for if I had had that kind of opportunity when
I was a fledgling chef, I would have jumped at it, kicking and scratching.

Then, I saw his other FTVN special, in which he was opening the new Mesa Grill in Las Vegas....
and I thought to myself....'this punk isn't paying for the construction of the restaurant, and he
isn't even involved in the opening process except to come in after the work is done to snatch the
credit from those who deserve it.'

Witness the awe-inspiring power of a really, really skilled PR person!!  Gone are the days when a
Chef had to actually be a really good cook in order to gain notoriety and opportunity.  Now, all
you need is a chef's hat, a talented prep crew, and a well-connected Public Relations Manager on
retainer.

And then there's Mario Batali..... who you can tell, just by watching him for a few moments, that
he not only knows exactly WHAT he's doing, but also WHY he's doing it.  And, he seems to have a
genuine passion for his craft.  My business partner says that I remind him of Mr. Batali, because
I am always so talkative and animated when I am in the kitchen, and I obviously love what I do.

Of all the 'Chefs' on the Food Network, Mario Batali is the only one whom I would have even the
slightest interest in meeting, and working with.  Except Rachel Ray, of course....and I just want
to get her nekked....

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.