[Sca-cooks] Need assistance in Scaling Sausage Spicing

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Sat Jan 15 10:07:52 PST 2005

Serena da Riva wrote:
> I spent the week working out the spicing for a sausage recipe and will be
commencing full scale production tomorrow (full scale being 35 lbs - which
is not so much.)

> The recipe I arrived at working with my hand cranked meat jobbie is as
follows:
> Tomorrow I will be making a scaled up version that the direct
multiplication would be:
<snip>
> When I tasted my initial trials I felt that it could use a little more
salt and a little more of one of the herbs so I am not afraid of spicing. <

    When I made the sausage for Bronzehelm's Twelfth Night this past month,
I still mixed in small batches, and  cooked up a bit for tasting before
placing in casings.  Part of that was because I had only so much bowls, and
because I had an unknown quanity of ground venison  -- so I measured out the
meats in 1 - 2 lb increments & added the spices as I had worked it out.  The
sausage was frozen raw & cooked on site, and I thought they could have used
more spicing {and a bit dry, needing more fat} but most people enjoyed them
with the mustards provided & didn't sem to mind the "leaness."

So take it in small batches, and cook & taste as you go.

Caointiarn