[Sca-cooks]pretzels [was bagels]

Marian Walke marian at buttery.org
Mon Jan 17 06:03:18 PST 2005

Stephen Bloch wrote:
(regarding bagels, pretzels, and his attempts to make pretzels)

>  From what I've read, commercial pretzels are sprayed with lye solution
> before baking<snip>
>
> I've tried it myself twice, with poor results <snip>
  I'll have to try again some time with ordinary bread dough.

I presume you know that flour can vary greatly in protein and
gluten content, from very soft to quite hard.  For pretzels and
bagels and such you want the hardest flour you can get.  In
period that would have been durum (in Italy and southern France)
or northern, Russian, or Middle Eastern wheat (in northern
Europe).  The English liked their native soft flour, but then
they didn't go in much for pretzels.

Nowadays, I'd use a bread flour (such as King Arthur unbleached)
if making it by hand.  If you have a mixer with a dough hook you
can use the King Arthur Special for Bread Machines, which is very
high gluten.

I suspect our modern American/Canadian hard wheats (bred from the
hardest Russian/Armenian strains) are even harder than the
strongest period flours.  But in any case, avoid "general
purpose" flours such as General Mills, Pillsbury, etc for this
purpose.  What King Arthur calls "General Purpose" flour is
already harder than the mainstream brands.  This is particularly
true in the Southern states, which have a preference for softer
flour, so the General Mills, Pillsbury, etc meant to be sold
there are formulated differently than the same brands sold in New
England.

Best of luck!  This is a good time to be making pretzels -- they
are one of the symbols of Lent.

--Old Marian