[Sca-cooks] Discussion of usage of capsicum peppers in Asiain ourperiod.

Craig Jones drakey at webone.com.au
Tue Jan 18 04:52:31 PST 2005

> The fact that chiles were eaten in Asia before the end of period
> makes them, in some people's minds, perfectly fine as representative
> of Asian food in period.

There is a just post period description of a Thai curry which contained
white pepper as the heat source.

The civilization was a keen up taker of chilies and had early contact
with the Portuguese.

I don't aspire to the claim that chilies were used in Eastern cookery
pre-1600.

> You can point out to her that there are dialect differences, that
> spelling anything in modern pinyin is subject to those
> regional/dialectical pronunciations, that there is no such thing as a
> "Chinese word" (since there really is no language called "Chinese")
> except in written form, which in this case is pinyin, and that the la
> jiu versus la jiao distinction appears to be simply an attempt to
> discredit the source's qualifications, which are in fact  impeccable,
> even among the authorities who don't care for his pronunciation
> and/or written renderings of same.

Do we have a context within Brown Pepper is mentioned?  Could it be one
of the water peppers perhaps?

Drake - the proud father of dozens of newly hatched Siamese Fighting
Fish.