[Sca-cooks] Period Asian/Japanese Cookbook or sources

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 18:30:03 PST 2005

JP Coane wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am looking to do Asain/Japanese period cooking for my local group. However, I do not have any period sources. Does anyone have or know where to get such things? Web site? Good book?
>
>I have tried a couple of searches but without a good idea of what I am looking for they have not turned up anything useful.
>
>Christopher

For Mongol cooking, see if you can find Buell and Anderson's "Soup for
the Qan".  There's a "Petit Propos au Culinaire" magazine from a couple
of years ago that had a translation by Gene Anderson and Teresa Wang of
Ni Tsan's "Cloud Forest Hall Collection of Rules for Drinking and
Eating", a 14th century book containing a few recipes from China.
There's also "The History and Culture of Japanese Food" by Noamichi
Ishige, which has information about what foods were period for Japan,
which you can then apply to recipes that can be found in various
Japanese cookery books, the best of which IMHO is "Japanese Cooking:  A
Simple Art" by  Tsuji Shizuo.  We are  in the process  of  translating
a  mid-17th century cookbook, but are nowhere near completion at this
point.

Hope this helps!

Kiri//

*