[Sca-cooks] Virginia Dairy legislation

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 12:48:38 PST 2005

Sandra Kisner wrote:

>>>       'Dairy farm' means any premises where any cow, goat, sheep, water
>>> buffalo, or other mammal (except humans) are maintained and milked
>>> for the
>>> purpose of providing milk for manufacturing into dairy products as
>>> defined
>>> herein and intended for human consumption.
>>>
>>> Notice they do not say  "intended to SELL for human consumption,"
>>> but merely
>>> "for human consumption."
>>

> The way I would read something worded this way (be glad I'm not a
> lawyer/legislator in Virginia) is that it would be illegal to make
> butter or cheese for my own use from animals I owned, not even
> bringing selling into the picture.
>
> Sandra

My reaction precisely, which is what I stated in my letter to the
Governor and Secretary of Agriculture.  And that is perhaps the final
absurdity of this law...it restricts what an individual can produce for
their own personal needs.  I guess that they figure it's along the same
lines as not permitting us to make whiskey for our own usage.  I can
only hope that the aim is to protect the health of Virginians...not to
line the pockets of the large producers!

Kiri