[Sca-cooks] Discussion of usage of capsicum peppers in Asia in our period.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 21:08:28 PST 2005

Cadoc asked:
> > The fact that chiles were eaten in Asia before the end of period
> > makes them, in some people's minds, perfectly fin as representative
> > of Asian food in period.
>
> Converse to this, are there any period recipes that use chiles?  I'm
> honestly asking if anyone knows any.  I find this topic fascinating,
> and
> it is one of the areas I know bupkus about so any knowledge is a lt
> to me. (I've been fascinated with near-far east foods for a couple of
> years now, thanks to someone who made me eat sushi)
I assume you mean in Europe? I can't remember off the top of my head,
but if they've been given on this list, you are likely to find them in
this file:
peppers-msg       (39K)  6/13/02    The introduction of peppers to
Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/peppers-msg.html

You might also check this file. But I think adding the peppers may not
have been done in Europe:
chocolate-msg     (69K)  6/19/04    History and description of early
chocolate.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/chocolate-msg.html

Stefan
--------