[Sca-cooks] Peppers

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Jan 20 07:45:17 PST 2005

[attributions restored]

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

> > Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > As to what the English thought about peppers (white,
> > > black, and long) one can read the 1588 work--
> > > A short discourse of the three kindes of peppers in
> > > common vse and certaine special medicines made of
> > > the same, tending to the preseruation of health.
> >
> > Why substitute 'v' for 'u'???

Why?  "The scribe made me do it."

> It's the nature of Cataloging. Rather than get involved in
> trying to *interpret* the data, they try to _transcribe_
> exactly as written. If the printer used a v for a u,
> that's how they will transcribe it. No matter if they are
> perfectly sure that it's meant to be a u instead.

This is traditional scribe behavior.

AFIK, scribes in the middle ages routinely copied written
works letter for letter even though they were written in
a language they didn't read.

For that matter, this also applies to cryptology in period.
Expert cryptologists deciphered coded messages despite not
being able to read the decoded text.

Kahn; "Codebreakers"

If you want, I'll look it up and get back to you with the
details later.  Just ask.

> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,
> Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick