[Sca-cooks] when a v is a u

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jan 21 05:17:52 PST 2005

This is how I finally worded this topic of variant spellings for my
bibliography on Elizabethan cookbooks.

"Due to variant imprints and editions, names and crediting
of authors and titles may vary as to spelling in various references and
online resources. Some entries are especially problematic as reference
sources
vary widely as to dating, editions, and given titles of works; ...

Also treatment as to “i” for “j”, “u” for “v”, and “vv” for “w” varies
from source to source.
I have generally chosen the spelling used by ESTC or EEBO. "

I am pleased to announce by the way that I will be dealing with this
topic in person
at the upcoming RUSH/RUM Combined Universities of Calontir and the Midrealm
session happening March 12th in Calontir (West Burlington, Iowa)
http://www.calontir.org/%7Eflinthyll/spring05rush/index.html
I'll be doing a powerpoint session on original
English Printed Cookbooks During the Reign of Elizabeth I with
the second hour talking about working with these
resources to create an Elizabethan Feast to remember.
It's a handicapped accessible site at a junior college campus.

Johnnae