[Sca-cooks] Sausage recipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jan 21 13:20:47 PST 2005

Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:
>Hi everyone!
>
>Just read something posted somewhere else about:
>"Actual period receipts for sausage may be few and far between"

Those wacky Laurels...

>Off the top of my head, I can think of four different sources for
>sausage recipes... I think we may need to prepare a list of the
>different period sausage recipes out there?

In addition to the Ouverture de Cuisine previously mentioned, there are:

Several in Apicius, not counting the various isicia and exicia
wrapped in caul fat/omentum.

One meat sausage in Le Menagier de Paris, plus a black pudding.

Fronchemoyle in Curye On Inglyshe (I forget which book offhand) is
pretty clearly a white pudding, and the various malaches dishes are
either white or black pudding mixtures used as tart fillings. See
also the Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books for those.

Platina has one or two recipes for Lucanian sausage (different from
the Apician recipes).

Sabina Welserin has at least one or more bratwurst recipes, plus a
cooked and dried sausage similar to a cervelat.

Marx Rumpolt has two or three bratwurst-type recipes, plus others, as I recall.

Hugh Plat's Delightes for Ladies contains a Kielbasa recipe (Polonian
Sawsedge). It's slightly post-period.

Digby has some, as I recall, for both meat sausages as well as quite
a few black and white puddings encased in sausage casings. He's also
post-period.

Gervase Markham's The English Hus-wife also has several sausage
recipes, including both meat and black or white pudding versions.
Publication date is post-period, but many or all of the recipes are
probably older.

There are probably more that I'd find if I actually opened a book...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04