[Sca-cooks] Sausage recipes

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 21 20:05:18 PST 2005

Phlip wrote:

>We went through this, somewhat, when we were discussing gazpacho. What
>particularly makes these sausages all chorizo, derived from the original
>that Brighid presented us with? Is it simply a Spanish term for a highly
>spiced sausage, the spicings changing with the spices available? Are there
>other sausage recipes that aren't chorizo, that are highly spiced? Anybody
>have any information or speculation?
>
>Saint Phlip,
>CoD

The oldest definition is in Covarrubias (1611).  He calls it "churizo",
and says that it is a particular type of sausage, and suggests that the
etymology of the name is from "churre", meaning "dripping" (as in fat
dripping from meat onto coals).  Not very helpful.

The earliest edition of the RAE dictionary (1729) defines chorizo as a
short piece of intestine, stuffed with chopped meat, usually pork,
marinated, and with spices, which is cured in smoke to harden it.  The
word I have translated as "marinated" is "adobado".   The period recipes
that have "adobado" in their titles usually have vinegar in them, but
the white wine is substituting for it here.

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net