[Sca-cooks] Greens with sage

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 06:18:03 PST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:03:37 -0500, Daniel Myers
<edouard at medievalcookery.com> wrote:

> The word in the Dutch version is "Bladgroenten" - which looks to me
> something like "blade greens" (WARNING: I don't know any dutch).
>
> I would think that all of the "coles" would be appropriate (e.g.
> cabbage, kale, etc...), as well as spinach and beet greens.  The recipe
> for "Diuers Sallets Boiled" [A new booke of Cookerie, J. Murrell] calls
> for spinach, but says it can be made with all sorts of other vegetables
> (Borage, Buglosse, Endive, Suckory (?), Cauliflower, Sorrel, Marigold
> leaves, Watercress, Leeks, Onions, Asparagus, Rocket, Alexanders).
>
> - Doc

I found it online as "leaf greens" in a modern dutch cooking site
(the magic of google) -  so that is what is modernly used as.

I would say any of the non-headed greens.  Spinach or Chard would go
well will the rest of that recipe as would Cress or Rocket, maybe endive.

>From what I have seen they are pretty specific in other recipes as to what
they are putting in them, what  greens would be typical for medieval holland?

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson