[Sca-cooks] Period German Mustard Recipes (long)

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 08:00:50 PST 2005

> This is the tentative menu:
>
> http://demi-hare.blogspot.com/2005/01/tentative-menu.html

Greetings,

The menu looks lovely. I too am working on a German feast and it is
fascinating to see how completely different that menus planned from
the same sources can be.

One comment - and it is just a matter of interpretation. The following recpie:

Rote Ruben (Pickled Beets)
Rumpolt
Red beets preserved with small cut horseradish/ anise/ coriander/ and
a little caraway/ special if the beets are cut/ marinated in half wine
and half vinegar

Comes from the chapter on eynzutuncken which I believe are more meant
to be condiments (like mustard) to dip your roasts into. Here you have
it as a side dish - which might be a bit overpowering. But as I said,
we all interpret things different ways and who is to say what is right
and what is maybe not so right. ;)

I have been working on translating (at least partially) the Banquet
Menus in the frontispiece of Rumpoldt - they make for interesting
reading and it is what I am basing the structure of my feast upon. The
primary menus I am focusing on are the ones for the Edelleut - which I
believe means the "Nobility" as in Upper Class but not the really
pointy hats. The second set are the ones for the Burger which I
believe are the next step down but not quite lower class.

I tell you all this in a set up for the following.

In the Third Banquet for the Edelleut for the Morning Meal on a Fast
Day in the second course there is listed the following:

Du:rre Forellen
Dried Trout

And in your menu you have listed that you are looking for references
for Smoked Trout and this is the closest I have seen.

And thirdly, for an A&S project a year ago I did some work with German
Mustards - you did not specify the time period that you are looking
for and some of these are early but if you would like to take a look
all of my documentation is here:

http://www.serenadariva.com/Resume/Documentation/CookingExamples/Honeyand%20MustardAS.pdf
with two appendixes:
One on the wine:
http://www.serenadariva.com/Resume/Documentation/CookingExamples/AppendixARiesling.pdf
And one on the pears and pear preserves:
http://www.serenadariva.com/Resume/Documentation/CookingExamples/AppendixBForelle.pdf

I hope that some of this might be helpful to you.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva