[Sca-cooks] bay berries

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 25 09:52:33 PST 2005

Flower and Rosenbaum translate "bacae lauri" as "laurel berry."  A better
choice than "bay berry."

According to the OED in English usage bayberry is the fruit of the bay-tree
or laurel.  In U.S. usage, it is the fruit of the wax myrtle (Myrica
cerifera).  The error here is trying to provide a common identifier (having
different meanings in different locations) without reference to the defining
scientific nomenclature.

Bear