[Sca-cooks] Help please...

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 18:46:39 PST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:45:52 +0000, nickiandme at att.net
<nickiandme at att.net> wrote:

> Opinions please?
>
> Kateryn de Develyn
> Residing this day in the Barony of Coeur d'Ennui
> Kingdom of Calontir

I was wondering on the choice of lard over beef fat, which is suet,
usually a hard fat and not creamy like lard is. Also, lard is rendered
and clarified and suet is raw fat. Grating up some suet should make this
more interesting :-)  Maybe even some quality time between the suet and
your food processor.

That might change the middle consistency and flavor a bit as beef fat melts
a bit differently than lard.

I would have kneaded the nuts and such into the dough itself, though
"when it has become soft like a cake" seems to indicate that maybe
there was a rise time on this.

Strangely I don't have a link to Helwyse's site on hand (I probably had it
and it didn't survive the past re-loadings of this laptop), does she have
a recipe for lasagna dough that we can compare to see if they added
any sponge or leaven into this?  I think this needs looking at the other
recipes from the same set to see if there is a common word usage to
decide if this is a filled dough (but why the rest with no leaven?) or
a mixed dough.

Cadoc
(who escaped jury duty because they didn't want someone who knew
things about stuff.  Do not snicker when the lawyer says
"the plaintiff was backended by the defendant in the park" )

                                    - William Gibson