[Sca-cooks] Re: gram flour

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 16:26:11 PST 2005

--- Ruth Tannahill <rtanhil at fast.net> wrote:

> Adamantius wrote:
> > Use the eye you saved to find your way to the nearest Indian grocery,
> > where that eye will see bags of gram dal flour, which is apparently
> > made from hulled, split mung beans.
>
> "Gram flour" refers to any bean flour. "Besan" is chickpea. This is the one
> that goes into "graham flour" I believe (and maybe into graham crackers?).

No.  Graham flour has nothing to do with beans at all.
To make graham flour, the endosperm of winter wheat is finely ground. The bran and germ layers are
returned and mixed in, resulting in a coarse, brown flour with a nutty and slightly sweet flavor.

Sylvester Graham devised this flour in an attempt to move people away from more heavily processed
flours, and was one of the forerunners of the health-food movement.  I don't happen to agree with
his philosophy, but I can't discredit the man's influence on the grape-nuts crowd.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.