[Sca-cooks] middle eastern food questions

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 27 10:10:13 PST 2005

>There was an herb blend in a bag called "zaater". It contained thyme,
>sumac, and sesame seeds. What would this be used for?

If you are unfamiliar with sumac, it's the red stuff - very pleasant
sour flavor. Nice combined with the rich nutty flavor of the sesame
and the savory tang of the thyme. Sometimes there's salt in it, too.

Get some good flat bread. Sprinkle it with olive oil. Sprinkle it
with zaatar. Eat. I've become jaded with pita - i hope this market
carries some other stuff... But you can use pita.

If you're the sort who makes your own bread, make the dough, but
rather than making it into a loaf, stretch it out flat on a jellyroll
pan or cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with zaatar.
Bake. Eat.

Also good on chicken and fish either in the cooking process or at the
table. And i hear it can be sprinkled in or on kebabs (in, if the
kebabs are made of ground meat).

Or, cut feta into cubes, roll in zaatar, then marinate in olive oil overnight.

And, while not traditional, you could sprinkle it on sliced tomatoes
and cucumbers (and onions, if you like 'em).

I've even heard of people making mashed potatoes, enriching with
butter and olive oil, and seasoning with zaatar... i gotta try this...

>There was a bottle of something labeled "Jallab Syrup".  The information
>was in Arabic, and the owner was busy with other customers so I didn't
>want to bother him. Is this one of the syrups that are used to make
>beverages?

Yes.

Usually it is rose flavored - most often contents are (not
necessarily in order) rose water, sugar, water, citric acid, and food
coloring - generally red.

You can make your own by making a sugar syrup and adding rose water
off the fire.

Anahita