[Sca-cooks] Help please...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jan 28 03:18:11 PST 2005

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Drakey commented:
>>I'm going to try with bean flour in the next week or so...
>>
>>Tonight I make Mung Bean Wine!!!!!
>Oh my. Please let us know how it turns out and whether it is even drinkable.
>For some reason this reminds me of the Mongols and kumiss and how
>they must have been real desperate out on those steppes for
>something alcoholic to drink.

Well, Stefan, by way of perspective, my buddy Master Ateno and I
worked on a March Beer recipe from Gervase Markham a while back, and
among the various late-season sweep-out-the-grain-barrel odds and
ends it contains is a goodly amount of white peas, which you mash
along with the various other grains. We then won a prize with it at a
local brewing competition, and nobody died from drinking it.

And yes, this is probably a somewhat dilute form of legume to be
brewing with, when compared to something called mung bean wine, but
both peas and mung beans contains starches that can be converted to
fermentables. In theory, it's plenty doable. You just have to learn
how.

Of the smells produced in the fermentation process, which, as I
recall in the case of March Beer were fairly... noticeable... I'm not
qualified to comment, other than to say that all those proteinaceous
nitrogen atoms have to go somewhere.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782