[Sca-cooks] Tamales

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 17:27:33 PST 2005

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> Also sprach Lawrence Bayne:
> >  > >Do people put tamales in tamale pie?
> >
> >We like GOOD homemade tamales, bought on any decent
> >street corner in the right area of town, smothered in
> >chili cheese and onions.
>
> That doesn't sound even remotely bad, but A) what you're describing
> sounds a little more like enchiladas, at least in its presentation,
> and B) there's probably some disparity between, if you'll pardon the
> expressions, Tex-Mex and Mex-Mex. Lately I've been seeing tamales
> sold on streetcorners within walking distance of my home, by Mexican
> immigrants, and they seem to be sold straight up. Maybe people take
> them home and dress them up with the other stuff?
>
> Adamantius

Nope.  Eat em out of hand as you walk down the boulevarde.  Nuke em naked for a quick snack.  Or,
you can top them with a red chile sauce (NOT "Chili Sauce") or a salsa verde for a great
suppertime treat.

Here in South-Central California, we have our fair share of Hispanic immigrants, several of which
are very close friends of mine.  New Years eve we usually head over to one of their homes for
Tamales, and they rarely add anything other than a thin red or green chile sauce on top.  Oh, and
Menudo, too... they always have Menudo on New Year's Eve.  Delicious hot...but I have a freind who
eats it ice cold, with ice cubes in it.  yeah...he's Mexican, but.....that's just wrong.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.