OT: Ice was Re: [Sca-cooks] Tamales

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Jan 30 13:31:32 PST 2005

At 11:32 AM 1/30/2005, you wrote:
> > On a side note.  I live in a city that is known to get ice storms in the
> > winter.  Why am I the only person at work who owns an ice scraper?
> > A big, northern style ice scraper :-)
> >
> > Cadoc
>
>Got me.  Auto parts stores in Southern California don't even sell them, and
>I've been asking.  It's been a weird winter all over North America.
>
>I wound up bringing a hard plastic spatula out to my car for the icy days.
>So far it's working!  Just, nobody better ask for pancakes until the weather
>turns warm.  <grin>

We get ice storms here in Oregon too (especially when the wind comes from
the Columbia Gorge) and I discovered that a credit card works really well
in a pinch. If it's just the windshield, that is. Last year when we had the
6" of snow topped with 1 1/2-2" of ice, the plastic snow shovel did a
decent job of peeling the huge sheets of ice off of the Volvo. The street
wasn't clear though, so it's not like I could go anywhere...

'Lainie