[Sca-cooks] Sauerbraten

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Sun Jan 30 20:41:03 PST 2005

At 08:07 PM 1/30/2005,Chris Stanifer said something like:

>It sounds very likely that this is the case.  Now, though...does anyone
>have a 'born on' date for
>Gingersnaps??  Every 'traditional' Sauerbraten recipe I have seen uses
>Gingersnaps to thicken the
>sauce, and I'm just curious to know if these 'could' have been used in one
>of the period recipes.
>
>William de Grandfort

I was reading through Sabina Welserin (on Cariadoc's site) and noticed the
use of stuff to make gravies and sauces, one of them was lebkuchen, which
is a form (kinda) of gingerbread/ginger snap.
Here's the quote from the site I mentioned:

7 To make a sauce in which to put a haunch of venison

Lard it well and roast it and make a good sauce for it. Take Reinfal and
stir cherry syrup into it, and fry Lebkuchen in fat and chop good sweet
apples, almonds, cloves, cinnamon sticks, ginger, currants, pepper and
raisins and let it all cook together. When you want to serve it, then pour
the sauce over it. It is also for marinating a boar's head. Then cook it in
two parts water and one third vinegar. The head of a pig is also made in
this manner.

Regards,
maggie