[Sca-cooks] Re: Lobster (was Spaetzle)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jan 30 22:22:32 PST 2005

The closest we get up here to native lobsters and shrimp would probably
be crawdadies, but I don't know if they get big enough to be more than a
childhood curiosity, or bait.  In the more southern areas of Artemisia,
they apparently are also regularly invaded by a fierce decapod known as
a "Brine Shrimp," which annual invasion of the Barony of Loch Salann
occasions an annual tourney of the same name ("Brine Shrimp Tourney").
However, there's this simply amazing 20th century invention called the
"airplane," and this technology has even made it to our little
mountainous backwater (although not as often as one could hope in the
winter, when we get a fair amount of fog).  These "airplanes" are pretty
good at delivering fresh foods, as are their cousins "trucks," which I'm
given to understand travel on the ground as is proper for mortals,
instead of in the sky, which is the province for birds and angels....
--maire
p.s.  In other words, Stefan, while our supply may not be quite as
right-from-the-ocean fresh as some coastal regions, we manage.  A lot of
our seafood is frozen, true, but fresh stuff gets here too.  It's just
more expensive.  We have a couple of very tasty sushi restaurants in
town....mmmmm.....seared tuna....mmmmmm.  But it's several hours in any
one of several directions to the nearest Red Lobster (nearest is
actually Spokane, which is two states away, across the panhandle of Idaho).
I'm also the byproduct of two people who came here from the east coast,
so I may have a stronger familial influence towards eating of seafoods
than other Montana natives.  And my paternal progenitor was big on
hunting and fishing, so I grew up eating a lot of native wild meats,
fowl, and fish--we get various trout, salmon, whitefish, etc.
p.p.s.  I do believe that the Rock Creek people (or whoever it was in
that area that actually held the darned event) have decided not to hold
any more Testicle Festivals, so any Native Oyster consumption is
strictly done on an amateur basis....