[Sca-cooks] Feast yesterday....

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adelphi.edu
Mon Jan 31 04:47:53 PST 2005

I wrote:
>We were at this event too.  It wasn't the most elaborate feast, but
>every single dish was both tasty and at least plausibly period.
>(The menu on the table listed the names of the dishes, and their
>ingredients, but didn't mention where each recipe came from.  We
>recognized a few as being from Chiquart or Menagier, and the rest
>wouldn't have been out of place there.)  Servers kept coming by the
>table to take away our leftovers from previous courses, and we kept
>sending them away empty-handed because we thought we MIGHT want
>seconds (or thirds) of this dish or that.
>
>I tried to get some leftover chicken to take home, but it was gone.
>I scored some Brussels sprouts and a whole sambocade, though....

One other interesting feature of the event that I forgot to mention:
dinner was served starting around 4:30 PM.  (We've been discussing
afternoon feasts on the EK Cooks' list.)  I thought it worked well
(particularly for those of us who didn't realize there was no lunch
dayboard, and were pretty hungry by then :-) ) and left time for
dancing afterwards.  Unfortunately, by the time dinner ended, there
was a quarter of an inch of snow on the ground, so people started
panicking and driving home.  By 8 PM the chairs and tables were put
away and the floors were being swept, which I don't think was the
original plan....
--
                                     John Elys
          (the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
                                 sbloch at adelphi.edu