[Sca-cooks] Ice Storm menu - was Housewarming Menu

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 31 08:06:11 PST 2005

Yum, that sounds like fun.  *You* had bad weather - what, a little rain? I
was iced in and cooked all weekend - porridge of mixed grains with golden
raisins, apricots and prunes with maple syrup for breakfast; for lunch -
fresh vegetable soup;  mixed beans with kombu and shiitakes and brown
jasmine rice; and dinner last night was Cornish gam hens stuffed with a
mixture of rice, granny smith apples, cranberries, allspice, shallots, and
ginger; accompanied by broccoli steamed with fresh dill.  All organic, of
course. :)
The power went out for about 5 hours on Saturday night, but my gas ovens
provide a very nice alternative heat source and it stayed toasty inside.
It's still cold here but all the ice is gone, so I'm trying to get some work
done today before going back to teaching tomorow.
Cold but well fed in wintery Atlanta,
Christianna

Papa Gunthar wrote:
I started out the day making a homemade Boston Cream Pie.
Probably my favorite dish and I didn't get any.  :-(
Man, guests can be piggy!

Then put some chicken and turkey Italian sausage (just italian
sausage made from turkey for friends who don't eat red meat)
mixed with lemon sections, unpeeled garlic cloves, a bit of olive
oil, white wine, pepper and fresh thyme in a 200 degree oven
for 2 hours then uncovered and cooked at 400 degrees for
another half an hour. Very nice dish.

Because of the discussion on the list I wound up making a
pot of chili in my 128 year old dutch oven. Basic recipe of
coarse ground beef browned with onion and garlic. Added
an 8 oz can of tomato sauce and two cans of water. Then
added paprika, salt, cumin, red pepper and let simmer for
30 minutes. After 30 minutes I made a slurry with masa flour
and added that. Cooked another 20 minutes and done.

I did cornbread in another cast iron skillet to go with it.

Another dish was a portabella risotto with pan roasted vegetables.
A basic risotto made with chicken stock that portabella mushrooms
have been simmered in. Then oiled up a pan and roasted onions,
tomatoes and swiss chard. Stirred together and served.

I did a light bruschetta of toasted ciabatta with a topping of
tomatoes, basil, garlic and onion.

Cookies with pecans, caramel and chocolate chips.

Various wines, sodas and coffee. I even served some chocolates
designed to be eaten with a merlot that was a gift from Countess Sara.

The party went all day and finally ended with a group of us going to
see assorted movies. The planned trip to the Oriental market next
door never happened.

Still, a rather fun, if eclectic dinner.

Gunthar