[Sca-cooks] Re: Iron Chef a go

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Mon Jan 31 14:08:16 PST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:34:10 -0800 (PST)
  smcclune at earthlink.net wrote:

Some
>folks are trying to figure out how to do an Iron Chef
>competition at an event here this summer.

well dahling.... and others... that's just what i am doing
at grand outlandish in al-barran this year.  being the
winner of the first 'iron chef outlandish' competition, i
feel it my duty to sponsor the next.  we had several
judges, and the food was made for the judges, but the
populace was invited to taste the remaining items.

i am trying to find something weird enough yet
identifiable enough to give people a bit of trouble (say
ham hocks or dried beef).

my scenario now reads that the storehouse has enough of
certain things for all to cook, but only scrips and scraps
of others.

the cook will get one predictable meat, one unusual meat
or meat product, a vegetable, half loaf of dry bread,
eggs, fruit (dried or fresh), beer, and a fat.   water is
free.

then they pull from the stores:  1 liquid (alcoholic or
non), one vegetable, a sweetener, 3 spices and herbs

     however, the variety for the pull from the veg might
be:
     2 leeks   or   3 onions   or   1 cabbage   or   1
bunch of kale  or....

     for spices....  any 3 of
     thyme   cinnamon sticks   mustard seed   parsley

I think it will add some variety and allow for one or two
high line items (no caviar, tho... or crab roe) that you
really couldn't afford to use for 6 baskets.  and all are
first grab, first get.

also, if you have more of the same thing in your camp, you
can use more.

also, our folk get from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to cook.  we
have rather quixotic weather at grand outlandish, and you
could spend better part of one hour relighting your
cookstove.

cailte
iron chef outlandish

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
University of New Mexico
Office of Freshman Admisions