[Sca-cooks] Pennsic water

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 1 16:36:32 PDT 2005

   Margaret FitzWilliam commented:
> Up until at least Pennsic XXVI, Gatorade was preferable to water
> because
> the Pennsic water tasted nasty to anybody not used to it. They've since
> improved filtration and it's fine (or at least it was at XXX), but I
> remember using the Gatorade as a chaser for the water.

Are you talking about Pennsic water in general? Or the water used by
the waterbearers at Pennsic?
I believe the last few years they have been filtering the water before
using it for the waterbearers. I've never had a problem with drinking
the Pennsic water, although if you leave it in the sun it turns rather
a yucky looking brown shade. Perhaps the heat or UV causes the iron in
the water to rust.

> I like using the drink syrups mixed with water to a level where it's
> slightly sweet, but only just, because it's more palatable to drink
> when
> it's hot out than plain water.

Here is a file giving some details on how various groups handle the
Pennsic water.
Pennsic-water-msg  (5K)  7/27/01    Dealing with the Pennsic drinking
water.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-water-msg.html

Stefan
--------