[Sca-cooks] SCA IKA

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 5 22:51:02 PDT 2005

  Brighid ni Chiarain commented:
> I also
> think that IKA is one of the really medieval things about the SCA.
> Other  kingdoms aren't cookie-cutter copies of this one, only in a
> different mundane place.  They are Furrin Places, where people are
> Strange and do things Differently.

Yep. This has been one of the interesting things which has come to
light, first from the major inter-kingdom events such as Pennsic and
TFYC and then the Rialto (rec.sca,org newsgroup) and then some mail
lists such as this one. Unless you are exposed to how things are done
in other kingdoms, and sometimes why, it may never occur to you that
things *might* be different from what you are used to.

I've often tried to capture these IKA comments for the Florilegium.
Mostly in the SCA-STORIES section, but also as comments in various
other files. I'd welcome any other kingdom comparisons or comments
off-list, for the Florilegium. Not much of this comes across the Rialto
any more and I can't handle more than a few lists.

"Huh? There are kingdoms where folks camp in *cabins*???". "fighter
practices indoors? How bizarre!". "You drive *four hours* for a weekend
event?". "What do you mean most of your events are only one day long?".
"What do you mean, no ground fires?!!!". "No rapier combat?"

:-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas