[Sca-cooks] FW: OED Definition of a word "hocchee"

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 10 16:27:06 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Mistress Bronwen [mailto:mistressbronwen at solhaven.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 12:05 PM
To: SCA Heralds List; Christianna MacGrain
Subject: OT: OED Definition of a word "hocchee"

This word appears in a recipe one of my protégés is trying to redact, and
she has come across conflicting definitions. Could someone with access to
the OED or some other likely source please let me know what is said about
this word?

The recipe is Elizabethan, from a cook book (The Forme of Cury) presented to
Elizabeth by Richard II.  The recipe reads:

CHYKENS IN HOCCHEE [1]. XXXIIII.

Take Chykenns and scald hem. take parsel and sawge withoute eny oþere
erbes. take garlec an grapes and stoppe the Chikenns ful and seeþ hem
in gode broth. so þat þey may esely be boyled þerinne. messe hem an
cast þerto powdour dowce.

[1] Hochee. This does not at all answer to the French _Hachis_, or
    our _Hash_; therefore qu.

She is trying to find out what the term "Hocchee" means. Can anyone assist?
How about the composition of "powdour douce"

~

Bronwen

"Quod Excogitem Sum"..."I Am What I Can Imagine"
[Per pale sable and argent, an antelope statant and in chief a pearled
coronet counterchanged]

~