[Sca-cooks] Re: Spun Sugar

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 13 16:34:57 PDT 2005

Greetings.  There are documented, period recipes for items made from a boiled sugar syrup which is then poured into a moled (usually in two or three parts).  This is then rolled around in the hand or swung overhead to coat the mold and leave the center hollow.  I wouldn't call this spun sugar, but it does produce a hollow sugar item which can be colored (in the initial syrup) or painted afterwards.  The thin strings that one might call "spun" don't seem to be in period, and to my knowledge, blown sugar item are OOP, unfortunately.  If they were to be in period, one might find them in Italian references.

Alys Katharine