[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 13 20:31:11 PDT 2005

Greetings!

Here is my preliminary feast menu for Danelaw. This is predominately a
9th Century Anglo-Saxon feast, though I believe it would be recognized
and enjoyed by all living within the area. I have pulled heavily upon
the work of Mary Savelli, who in turn pulled heavily upon the work of
Ann Hagen and Maggie Black. Period sources include:

Anthimus, De obseruatione ciborum, translated by Mark Grant
Ælfric, Colloquy, edited by Garmonsway
Bald's Leechbook, edited by Cockayne
Lacnunga, edited by Grattan and Singer
Medicina de quadrupedibus, edited by Vriend
Peri Didaxeon, edited by Löweneck
Recipes, edited by Cockayne

_*A Feast for the Market Day at Jorvik:*_
(The bread, cheese and butter will be served with the feast, not before.)

    * *Eofor* (stewed boar): Boar, onions, grains of paradise, cinnamon,
      sage, coriander seed, red wine, salt
    * *Caulres Wyrtmete* (cabbage salad): Cabbage, spinach, leek, peas,
      farmers cheese, cider vinegar, oil, salt, pepper
    * *Leaxes Hlaf* (salmon cakes): Salmon, egg, oatmeal, onion, oil

    * *Hlaf *(bread): wheat, oat and/or rye bread
    * *Cyse Syfling* (cheese spread): cottage cheese, cream cheese,
      white wine vinegar, rose water, salt, pepper
    * *Hunig Butere* (honey butter): butter, honey

    * *Ælan Cicen* (grilled chicken): Chicken, oil, cider vinegar,
      honey, cloves, cinnamon, salt
    * *Hunigbære Moran* (honey-glazed carrots): Carrots, salt, radishes,
      butter, honey, cinnamon, mint leaves, cress
    * *Hwerhwettan Wyrtmete* (cucubmer salad): Cucumbers, onion, salt,
      pepper, honey, white wine vinegar, water
    * *Hriõer Smeamete* (beef casserole): Beef, saffron, water, white
      wine vinegar, oil, breadcrumbs, raisins, dates, honey, salt,
      pepper, cinnamon, red wine, butter

    * *Bræder Eofor* (roast pork): Pork, salt, oil, honey, white wine
      vinegar, white wine, cinnamon, pepper, rosemary, cress, apples
    * *Beren Briw* (barley pilaf): Barley, radishes, butter, vegetable
      stock, salt
    * *Swamma* (mushrooms): Mushrooms, butter, salt, red wine vinegar,
      sage, thyme

    * *Peru on Wine* (pears in wine sauce): Pears, red wine, honey,
      cinnamon, cloves, cumin, pepper
    * *Flete Estmete* (sour cream custard): Eggs, cottage cheese, sour
      cream, almond, honey, breadcrumbs, sugar, butter, cinnamon (maybe
      served with strawberries as well).

As I finish working out my redactions, I will post them. Most however
are variations on those of Savelli and Hagen whose publications are
avaible so it would be inappropriate for me to post their work.

Comments? This is my first early period feast. I do not offend easily,
so please comment freely (like that is a problem on this list ;) ).

Aoghann