[Sca-cooks] My two cents on canning compost...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jul 20 07:20:05 PDT 2005

Hullo, the list!

Jadwiga asked a while back about canning compost, because I mentioned
having done so. All I've done is what I believe is called open-kettle
canning, bringing the mixture to a good boil and ladling it into
sterilized jars and sealing it while hot, because the mixture is
rather acidic and the batch was small. It seems to have worked out
just fine, and as I've mentioned elsewhere, some of this batch was
still edible after close to ten years.

I'm sure pressure canning would be safer, and I wouldn't bet on the
stuff being good for years and years -- all I can say is the above
worked fine for me on that occasion.

I think maybe any concerns about pressure canning leading to an
overcooked, mushy product might not be taking into account the
inherent water loss if the mixture is properly salted and pickled.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04