[Sca-cooks] How meals are served in period

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Sat Jul 23 13:00:09 PDT 2005

I've been curious about how meals are served in period. I"ve always
been told that it was served in courses/removes, with each being a
miniature meal in itself.

Was this always done?

Recently I noticed a feast that was served apparently an item at a
time, not in "courses/removes" and was done really really well.

Is there a document somewhere that describes a _simple_ meal? (I tend
to doubt that because why would anyone write about a meal that wasn't
unusual in some sense?)

I'm trying to plan a meal that the event steward has asked be themed
in late period Italian, so that will play a part in it too. (I've
been reading "The Stars Dispose" and "The Stars Compel" and getting
lots of inspiration from their interpretations of Apicius).

Thanks in advance!
Maggie MacD.