[Sca-cooks] Serving meals in period

RUTH EARLAND rtannahill at verizon.net
Tue Jul 26 00:15:27 PDT 2005

After checking a book whose title escapes me at the moment, but is about
dietary practices of Tudor England, I see that the number of dishes per
course were regulated according to station. For an ordinary meal, a great
lord could have 5, while an ordinary knight would have 3. A "dish" would be
defined as anything from one great fowl to several smaller birds or a
corresponding amount of meat or fish. Vegetable or side dishes don't seem to
count toward the total.

Also, keep in mind that sumptuary laws were pretty much universally flouted.

The point of this statement is not to imply that we should be serving
multiple meat offerings with every course. If your budget allows it, it
would be cool, but that's something a lot of groups simply cannot do. My
arguement is that multiple dishes per course was one possible way of serving
a feast.

Regarding multiple meat offerings per course, it can work, but it can also
ruin your feast. I've been to too many feasts where the cook tried to do too
much, offer too many different dishes, and over-extended his or her
physical, financial, or psychological resources. Personally, I like to serve
a fairly standard offering with each course. Not particularly inspired, but
I don't get many complaints. There will be one meat, at least. If it's a
controversial "meat" like pork, lamb or fish, I'll offer an alternative.
Lately, I've been offering a vegetarian option on a side table, for the
vegetarians to serve to themselves instead of the meat, and it's been very
well received. I will also offer at least one fruit or vegetable side dish
and some kind of a starch. I keep sauces on the side, in separate bowls,
which is completely modern, but allows people with food allergies to choose
to sauce or not.

The second point of this very long response is that dietary considerations
play an important role in my feast planning. Yes, I would like to serve a
completely period feast. But I understand that in order to encourage more
people to stay for the feast I need to give them flexibility in choosing
which foods they will or will not eat.

I don't subscribe to the Happy Meal mentality. I don't want to serve people
purely modern food and say it's "period". But I don't want to cheat feasters
or endanger their health by offering them nothing but a selection of foods
they might not be able to eat.

Berelinde