[Sca-cooks] Western traditions and killing off Royalty

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 26 21:51:31 PDT 2005

   Viscountess Katira replied to me with:
> Another interesting inter-kingdom difference is the way Royalty change.
> Some years ago, I was horrified when the Mists Royalty changed in a
> hostile
> takeover!  I was told that in other Kingdoms this was normal!?!

Yes, this surprised me too, when I first saw it discussed on this list
and elsewhere. This isn't the tradition in Ansteorra.

> Well, I
> have since experienced a stabbed and dying Prince give the
> Principality to
> his heir and a Prince who decide to become a monk.

For more of these stories take a look at this file in the SCA-STORIES
section of the Florilegium:
royal-deaths-msg (35K) 7/24/05   Stories of the best SCA royal deaths.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/STORIES/royal-deaths-msg.html

> Personally, I much
> prefer the joyful and regal transfer of Crowns and Coronets to the
> heirs.
> Many HAPPY tears.   And why, I ask, did all the examples above happen
> in the Principality of the Mists?

Perhaps because the Principality of the Mists includes the mundane city
of Berkley? Hardly a "mundane" city, at least in the 60s. But then that
is where the SCA started, which seems appropriate.

Actually though, these theatrical deaths seem more like something that
would come out of Caid and Hollywood. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com