[Sca-cooks] Alton brown NOW jerky drying

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jul 2 13:13:49 PDT 2005

On Jul 2, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Kerri Martinsen wrote:

> On a related topic, for those who saw the episode on drying jerky, has
> anyone tried the fan/furnace filter method?  It just looks weird...

That sounds like one of those things that people become alarmed about
not because it's bad, but because it's weird. I remember reading
someplace (in that book about Cod, I believe) that the late mayor of
Marseilles or Nice (I forget which) used to soak the salt cod for
state dinners in the toilet tank (the cod was in the toilet tank, not
the dinners), which sounds awful until you remember that the water is
clean, in theory, before it gets to the toilet, and is replenished
with clean water with every flush, so perfect for salt cod. Drying
over a filtered, continuous warm furnace airstream sounds unorthodox,
but not inherently like a bad idea.

The method I use for bulk jerky drying that seems to work best for me
is to dry the strips in the oven, but instead of laying them out on
sheet pans or screening, I hang the strips threaded onto bamboo
skewers, maybe ten or twenty to a skewer, with the skewer stuck
through one end of each, so I can lay the skewer on the racks of the
oven, and hang the strips down through the gaps in the rack. I find I
can fit a lot more in the oven that way, and I can still catch drips
with a sheet pan on the bottom of the oven.

I have a gas oven with pilot lights, I light the oven and set it for
200 degrees F. for a few minutes, then put the meat in, turn the oven
off, and leave everything overnight with the door propped open an
inch or two to allow water vapor, if any, to escape... normally it's
quite viable jerky by the next morning.

Adamantius