[Sca-cooks] A question of serving

Speaker To Idiots pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Sat Jul 2 16:32:52 PDT 2005

Last weekend I was the head server for our barony's archery event. And as
I sit here waiting for the raspberry pie to bake, I find myself wondering
how others handle the serving part of a feast.

This is what I, as head server, feel the job entails:

coordinate with head cook about setup of feast hall
set up feast hall
figure out serving paraphenalia, plating order, etc.
instruct servers
liaison between the hall and the kitchen

The cook should be done at this point, unless the kitchen staff is helping
plate things. We have a volunteer coordinator as a staff position for our
events, so that there's one main point of contact for volunteers--in the
past, I'd be handling that part of it too.

In this specific case I ended up coordinating the toasts, but only because
I got proactive about it.

So how do other people/places handle it?

Margaret FitzWilliam

* * * *
The bank called. Your reality check bounced.