[Sca-cooks] Re: Toasts: Was A Question of Serving

iasmin at comcast.net iasmin at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 06:41:27 PDT 2005

Well let's try this again. The first time I tried to respond, my computer went toes up on me.

Alys Katharine wrote:

> The "muddy" part, speaking strictly protocol-wise, is that if there are no
> peers present (or you don't recognize any), then the offer to toast the
> Crown should go to the person next down the award chain.

This is indeed a muddy part and that's where I've always relied on Royal Peers to  help out. Another thing that absolutely flumoxes people is when they need to deal with understand who *gets* toasted. You'd think that this was a simple arrangement until you realized the ideas of visiting Royalty, foreign dignitaries, local baronages and visiting baronages, and who exactly is sitting at head table on in the feast hall. Throw them all in one event and you have, if you'll pardon the pun, an incredible recipe for disaster.

> So, if it's a local event without fancy hats present it's probably just
> fine whoever toasts the Crown.

I think I would have to agree with you for the most part. I wrote a guide to toasts for people on several royal reigns and truth be told, it works for a lot of kingdoms, even given inter-kingdom differences. I need to update it to account for the elevation of Northshield out of the Middle Kingdom nest, but if anyone is interested in the file (a PDF), I'd be happy to send it to them privately. Send me a private note and I'll try to get the file out ASAP once I get home from work.

Iasmin

Iasmin de Cordoba, iasmin at comcast.net
Finishing School Survivor