[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 26, Issue 13

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jul 6 05:20:24 PDT 2005

On Jul 6, 2005, at 4:34 AM, Jessica Tiffin wrote:

>> that

>> > What, pray tell, is Anchovette... I LOVE anchovies... (salivate,
>> > salivate, salivate)
>>

> Anchovy paste.  Very strong flavour which I occasionally find
> myself craving :>. Treat like Marmite, i.e. spread on toast, except
> you can slather it on more thickly than Marmite, depending on your
> anchovy tolerance. The thing to remember is that it _must_ be
> refrigerated after opening, and you should try and finish it within
> a week or so - it grows savage moulds remarkably fast.
>
> Darn, now I want anchovy toast.

I was wondering about that myself. I was afraid it was another yeast
extract made to taste or otherwise resemble anchovy paste.

With regard to mold, I'm a little surprised. The stuff is presumably
quite salty, contains fish or other oils (such as olive) to help
exclude air, and is reduced to a paste to further exclude air from
anything but an obviously exposed surface. Is this perhaps some
evidence to suggest that South Africans refrigerate less of their
food, overall, than the typical paranoid American? Or is it perhaps a
matter of packaging? I imagine this is packed in a glass or plastic
jar (or is it in a non-resealable tin?). Most of the anchovy paste
I've encountered has either been homemade and essentially been potted
in a glass jar under a little bit of oil, or comes commercially in a
squeeze-tube, like toothpaste, and as far as I know, either form will
keep for months if refrigerated, maybe upwards of a year. I must be
missing something...

Adamantius, recent survivor of eating two-week-old tapenade... ;-)

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04