[Sca-cooks] Anchovette

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 13:30:06 PDT 2005

Thanks. Sounds... interesting... As someone with a jones for
anchovies, i'll be looking for Anchovette in the exotic foods markets.

Sounds like something invented for canapes served at a cocktail
party. You know, sliced white bread with the crusts removed, cut into
tiny rounds with canape cutters, then topped with Anchovette piped
through a decorative tube, possibly stuck under the broiler for a few
minutes, and topped with something decorative in a contrasting
color... or is this just too late 1950s/early 1960s?

I think all the more prosaic anchovy paste is imported into the US. I
have some right here on my desk... i sometimes squeeze into onto my
canned tuna for lunch... Anyway, ingredients in this Spanish import
are anchovies, salt, olive, oil, and acetic acid. I don't even
refrigerate it and it isn't green and it has been sitting here for
months. I know it also comes from France and Italy... although i
think the Spaniards and Moroccans are the major anchovy fishermen.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita