[Sca-cooks] Re: Anchovette

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jul 6 15:08:28 PDT 2005

On Jul 6, 2005, at 5:47 PM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> Jessica Tiffin wrote:
>

>>> (and Caesar Salad in its
>>> original form has almost completely vanished in favor of something
>>> _called_ Caesar Salad, but which is merely lettuce with croutons,
>>> grated Parmigiano and a non-descript creamy "Caesar
>>> Dressing" [pfooey! double-bleh pfooey!]).
>>>

>> Ah.  Caesar salad being one of my favourites, I am in a position
>> to say that probably two-thirds of the restaurants in Cape Town,
>> at any rate, still put whole anchovies in them.  Although whether
>> you get proper caesar dressing or a mere mayonnaise is more of a
>> lottery.
>>

> Hrrrmm... I was under the impression that anchovies were _not_ in
> the original.

There appears to be some question about that, and what constitutes
the original recipe. However, it appears that Cardini, who is often
credited with its creation, added them in himself in a subsequent
version of the recipe, so he probably has a bit more of a right to
establish orthodoxy after the fact than the idiots who start the dish
by thinning down mayonnaise...

Me? Opinionated? Of course not. Ask me about "Alfredo sauce"*, sometime!

Adamantius

*There is no such &*&%$#@*-in' thing as "Alfredo Sauce".

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782