[Sca-cooks] Smoke Essence.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 7 23:57:42 PDT 2005

Adamantius commented:
> On Jul 7, 2005, at 12:02 AM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:
> > kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:
> >> A pretty slick device, although I'm not sure it is worth the
> >> effort unless you really want to be sure you aren't buying a
> >> bottle of chemicals.
> >
> > Of course, what you'll be doing is _making_ a bottle of chemicals...
>
> True, but they're the same chemicals you'd be adding to your food by
> hanging it in the smoke in the first place, and also very nearly
> identical to the chemicals you'd be adding if you used smoke essence.

Ideally, that is true. Admittedly, I am not an organic chemist, however
I have some serious concerns about this home made making of smoke
essences.

We have discussed the problems with distilling safe, drinkable alcohol
on this list previously. I fear that there would be similar concerns
with this. The industrial processes which are used to produce these
smoke essences are at least likely to be consistent. Doing this at home
the temperature and other factors are more likely to vary. You may end
up creating other compounds than you want, and those may have hazards
you aren't aware of. In addition, those industrial methods are likely
to be done using materials that do not themselves introduce problematic
compounds, if for nothing else then that if you leach materials out of
your production equipment you will eventually have to repair it. For
instance if someone were to do this at home and use galvanized metal in
the collection or cooling apparatus or use a leaded rather than
unleaded solder to assemble it, this could be a problem. And these are
just those that immediately occur to me.

Mark S. Harris
(Stefan would probably consider this witchcraft)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com