[Sca-cooks] Re: Anchovette

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jul 8 03:16:47 PDT 2005

On Jul 7, 2005, at 11:09 PM, Radei Drchevich wrote:

> garlic, butter, lemon and shrimp stock?
>
> joy
>
> radei

Nonono, scampi stock! But I'll tell you that one after I perfect my
other big commercial venture, Peanut Butter And Jelly Sauce for
Bread. Ya take Bread, see, and with this Peanut Butter and Jelly
Sauce, which only I can prepare from my secret family recipe, you can
make an Authentic, Down-Home, New-York-Style Peanut-Butter-And-Jelly
Sandwich!

Then you can wash it down with our own famous ...Milk! Just put our
special proprietary powder into a glass, add milk, and stir! Tastes
just like the milk you used to drink when you were a kid!

All right, I could go on like this for quite a while, but I'm hoping
my point has begun to emerge (even though it was a tangential point I
never really intended to go on about in the first place). To wit,
that there are a number of very simple, or fairly simple, dishes in
which, either in the cooking or the preparation, some liquid
accumulates. This liquid component is great with the dish, but it is
perhaps a misplacement of priorities to siphon it off and bottle it,
only to use it   again, generally in the same dish in which it would
naturally occur, but in a really half-a&&ed version, one which
generally doesn't make a dish prepared with the bottled stuff or the
"sauce recipe" any more convenient or any better than if you simply
made the dish from scratch.

Examples might include: Curry Sauce, Alfredo Sauce (butter, cheese,
and water), Caesar Salad Dressing, Au Jus Gravy, and a plethora of
others. (I don't imagine there really is a commercial Shrimp Scampi
Sauce out there. If there is, shame on somebody.) What do they do
with all the curry, the fettucine, the Caesar Salad, and the Roast
Beef au jus that they strain out of these sauces in the preparation?
Throw them away? Give it to City Harvest, Meals On Wheels, or some
other charitable organization?

Originally in the Anchovette discussion, we'd begun to discuss what
amounts to Essential Identities of various foods, and I mentioned
Caesar Salad as something that had become ubiquitous throughout the
US and its cuisine(s), but in large part without the anchovies that
were once considered  an integral part of the dish.

Adamantius