[Sca-cooks] chicken fried steak (OOP)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jul 9 11:30:15 PDT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Heather M wrote:

>> My sister once sprung Liver Stroganoff on the family. She's now a
>> vegetarian. I'm sure there's no connection between these facts.
>>
>> Interesting, this whole Swiss Liver Steak thing, because I note
>> that  when you take chuck or round steak, and hit it with that
>> papaya-based  meat tenderizer (I forget why this seemed like a
>> good idea, but there  must have been some reason at the time), too
>> much of it, or leaving  it too long to macerate, maybe, results in
>> a flavor I'll charitably  call distinctly... gamy.
>>
>> Adamantius
>>

> Papaya has an enzyme that breaks down the bonds between the muscle
> fibers. So do pineapple and other similar exotics. So, as a sauce
> prepared on the side, it'll work. Just don't cook or marinate with
> it, and I wouldn't store the meat and the sauce together.

I'm sorry, maybe I was confusing. The Liver Stroganoff Incident had
nothing to do with papain-based meat tenderizer. It was just a
comment on an unfortunate flavor side-effect that papain-based meat
tenderizer (the stuff you can buy commercially) can have. It seems to
add a slightly livery flavor.

Luckily, I'm not a big fan of papaya. Now mangoes, on the other
hand... ;-)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782